Friday, September 16, 2011

last huzzah

a couple of good summery things I forgot in my last summer sum-up:

ALPHORNS!
Two friends from Switzerland of one of my college professors came to the Tetons, so we spent a wonderful weekend together, hiking, canoeing, hiking more, and playing (in my case: listening to) a SWISS ALPHORN!  Hanspeter has a collapsible, lightweight carbon alphorn, which he carries with him on all such adventures.  He said he played out in the middle of a lake in Canada, and could hear a tune echo back three times.  On Jenny Lake, the waves were too big to really play well, but we stopped at a little sandy island near the shore for lunch and he played Brahms over the water.  We then sprinted past the hordes past Hidden Falls; this picture was taken at Inspiration Point.  Could you ever feel more inspired?


 VEGETABLES!

Behold the largesse!
 KITTY-CATS FROLICKING IN THE RHUBARB!

KITTY-CATS FROLICKING IN THE TOMATOES!

 KITTY-CATS FROLICKING UNDER A BENCH!

ANGUS BEEF!
No picture here, but a story: a visitor came into the center and asked me, “What are those big black things?”
He was not referring to anything in sight of the building, so I had to start a guessing game.  “Where did you see them?  In the sagebrush?”
“Yeah.  I don’t think they were bison.  Or buffalo, neither,”
“Did they have long antlers?”
“No… they had horns, though,”
“Did they look like big, shaggy cows?”
“Yeah, sort-of,”
“Well, they were probably bison, then—they’re also called buffalo—and both the males and females have horns,”
“Here, I have a picture of one,” he said helpfully, pulling out his camera.
[Pause]
“Um, sir…?  That’s a cow,”

FRIENDS, COWORKERS, ROOMMATES, and HOBOS!
Roomies & buddies. No me. (These are not the hobos I was referring to; one of my roommates likes to pick up hobos, hitchhikers, and anyone and everyone who needs a place to stay, and bring them home.  I've met some pretty interesting people this summer.)
and last, but not least, DOUBLE RAINBOWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment