Tuesday, May 24, 2011

short but sweet

I had a surprise visitor yesterday!


Well, not quite a surprise—eons ago, I visited Sarah Korn (a Linfield German class buddy) in Heidelberg, Germany, where she's studying abroad.  I invited her in turn to come and visit me on Mallorca, and last week, she told me she was taking me up on the offer!


Sarah arrived at 5pm yesterday and left at 6am this morning... a whirlwind visit.  We packed as much in as possible.  We: rode bikes down to es pontás, rode bikes to the beach, made dinner and lots of lemonade (we got ANOTHER 50 gallon trash bag full of lemons from my roommate's friendly gardening ex-roommate), went on a late-night stroll through the deserted, quiet streets of Santanyí, played Speed Scrabble, had wine and cheese and frozen lemonade for dessert.


This morning we woke up at 5:30, blearily had a bit of breakfast, and headed to the bakery before Sarah's bus came.  Alas! The bakery was open (there were bakers inside) but they hadn't opened the doors to the public, yet, and we weren't desperate enough to bang on the window to see if they'd have pity on us, so we went dejectedly back to the bus stop and waited for her bus.


Sarah got back to Heidelberg this afternoon in time to be in class tomorrow morning.  (What a good student... when I was studying abroad, I seem to remember making every 4-day weekend into a 6-day weekend under the excuse "Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... when else am I going to get to go to the Amazon for $10?")


So, this year, I've had a dozen visitors (Hannah, Mom, Dad, & JD, Linnaea, Katelyn, Melissa & Sarah L., Uncle Tom & Cousin Katie, Joy, and Sarah K.), and each time, it's been a treat to show them a little bit of my life here, and to explore more of Mallorca.  Thanks, guys, for helping make this year special for me!


(and, ahem, PSA: in a couple of weeks, I'm going to be in yet another beautiful part of the world.  If anyone else feels like road-tripping out to Grand Teton National Park, my cabin doors will be wide open for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment