Thursday, April 7, 2011

santanyí’s beaches

So, sometimes I’ve casually told people that within 10 miles of my house there are at least 10 beaches.  *cool shrug, as if it’s totally no big deal that my 3rd grade classroom has an ocean view.*

Well, I now stand corrected: there are actually 41 beaches within a 10-mile radius.  
FORTY-ONE!  
And those are only the SANDY beaches.  There are probably a hundred rocky beaches and coves that I’m not going to bother listing here.  Also, there are definitely two more sand beaches (see picture below of the mini beach) that I found on Google Earth but that apparently have no names; the list below only includes the 41 beaches officially recognized by the Mallorcan government. 

I’ve been to only 10 of these beaches, but I could get to almost all of these with an hour’s bike ride.  I have no excuse for my laziness!  I have made it my mission to visit every single one of these beaches before leaving the island.

In case you need a refresher on where I live:





 <-- I live on the big island, that one right there, surrounded by all the water.





This one:








<-- Near the bottom-right-hand corner, there’s a town called “Santanyí,” which I currently call home.




Within 10 miles (16 K) of Santanyí, there are 41 registered sand beaches.  
(Click to enlarge the map)

2.    Ses Covetes
9.    Sa Raconada de s’Estany (also known as Ses Estanys or Es Coto)
32. Cala d'Or (used to be known as Cala d'Hort)
33. Cala Gran *

* denotes beaches I've been to as of 4/7/2011.

Mallorquín Vocab:
Platja: beach
Cala: cove
Caló: small cove (covelet?)
Arenal: sandy area, or long strip of sand (generally known as a "beach", in my opinion)


The most atmospheric names: Es Caló de ses Homos Morts (#29), which means "the small cove of dead men," Platja d'es Dolç (#5), "the sweet beach," or "the beach of the sweet thing," and Platja d'es Trenc (#13), which has a gazillion meanings: "the beach of the cut, the break, the opening, the splitting open of one's head, the wrinkle, the trench, the ravine, or the daybreak."  The prettiest two beaches are part of the Natural Park Cala Mondragó, which are the beaches of S’Amarador (#24) and sa Font de n’Alis (usually just called Mondragó, #25). The closest beaches are Cala Santanyí (#23) and Cala Llombards (#22), and sometimes after a long day at school, I ride my bike the 15 minutes down to either beach just to sit in the sun, read, pray and relax.

mini nameless beach
Yes, I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment